Yes! Fava Beans were featured in this week’s CSA box from Calvert’s Gift Farm. They are a little labor intensive, but the taste factor is worth it.
Bounty from the box. This today I’ll used zucchini (far left), basil (leff), fava beans (top), onion (bottom), garlic (2:00). We also got broccoli, cukes, lettuce and eggs.
Welcome to another edition of Farm Fresh Challenge / Chopped Parkton.
[Not associated with the real Chopped, the Food Network or Ted Allen.]
FROM THE BOX:
2 lb Fava Beans
1 Large Zucchini (or 3 small Zucchini)
1 medium Onion
FROM THE PANTRY:
FROM THE FRIDGE:
Grated Italian Cheese
1lb Beef Cubes
1. Fava Beans are kind of a pain to prepare, so stick with me. First bring a large pot of water to boil. Shell the outer pod of the Favas and discard the husk. Put the beans in the hot water to par boil them for 5 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water until they are cool enough to handle.
Fava bean with par boiled shell still in place.
You aren’t done yet. Peal off the outer shell to reveal the inner bean. This lighter green Fava Bean is the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.
Top — Fava good
Bottom — Fava bad (well Fava still in the outer shell, and it will TASTE bad if you eat it.)
2. Dry out the pot and add 2 tablespoons of Olive Oil. Heat to hight.
3. Dice Onion and mince Garlic. Add to the Olive Oil. When the Onions are translucent toss in the Fava Beans. Sautée for 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon transfer all the ingredients to a bowl lined with a paper towel.
4. Mash and squeeze in the juice of a half a lemon and mix. Cover to keep in heat.
1. Cut the Zucchini into strips 4″ x 1/2″ x 1/2″. Add to the already hot oil in the pan (add more oil if necessary.) Sprinkle with Salt, Pepper and Garlic Salt. Cook each side of the Zucchini Strips for 3 minutes.
Transfer to paper towel lined plate and pat with additional paper towels to remove excess oil. Transfer to a bowl and top with Italian Cheese. Repeat with all but 1 cup of remaining Zucchini. Cover bowl to retain heat.
2. Set remaining Zucchini aside to serve uncooked.
1. Carefully place the Beef Cubes into the hot oil. Sautée for a few minutes on each side until brown. Remove to a plate lined with paper towels and pat dry to remove excess oil.
2. Plate quickly before he beef gets cold.
The final dish has Zucchini two ways (Sautéed with Italian Cheese and raw), Sautéed Beef, and Fava Mash.
This was delicious, but frankly I’ll never cook Zucchini this way again. Too much trouble and too much oil for me. The Beef with the Fava Bean was fabulous.