Its Muffin Monday everybody! Blueberries and Zucchini are still going strong so I made them the star, along with the lovely lemon, for this week’s recipe.
- 15 Vanilla Wafers
- 8 tablespoons Butter
- 1 cup Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 cup grated Zucchini
- 1/4 cup grated fresh Lemon Peel
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup milk
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare 15 muffin cups by spraying with cooking spray. Place a Vanilla Wafer inside each muffin cup and set aside. (OK I just happened to have Vanilla Wafers, and thought this would add a bit of texture. You can skip this bit if you don’t have Vanilla Wafers — I hereby give you absolution — However, if you are feeling particularly spicy today, why not try Ginger Snaps?)
2. In a large bowl cream the Butter. Add the Sugar and the Eggs. Then add the Vanilla Extract, Baking Powder and Salt, all at once, and mix well.
3. In a small bowl mash 1/2 cup of the Blueberries.
4. Put the mashed Blueberries, the grated Zucchini and the grated fresh Lemon Peal in the batter and stir until blended.
5. Add half the Flour. Stir. The Milk, Stir. Rest of the Flour. Stir.
6. Fold in the rest of Blueberries.
7. Divide evenly into the 15 muffin cups. (If you want to make slightly smaller muffins prepare 18 cups).
8. Bake for 35-40 minutes until the muffins are golden brown and pass the toothpick test. Let rest 5 minutes before enjoying with some tea or lemon aide.
They didn’t rise very much, but they sure are good. Both my taster Maggie and I really liked the flavor profile. Maggie put it best when she said “Quite a delightful muffin. The lemon & blueberry compliment each other nicely. And they have just the right amount of moisture.” The density is spot on as well.
Let me know if you try the recipe. I’m curious to see if you like them as much as we did.
- Blueberry Muffins with Cream Cheese Icing from a Muffin Mix (southernfood.answers.com)
- Moist and Delicious Low-Fat Blueberry Muffins (lowfat.answers.com)
- Zucchini-Blueberry Muffins (theselightfootsteps.com)
Don’t miss my other Muffin Monday recipes… type Muffin Monday in the search field at the top of the blog, on the right.