- 1-3/4 cups Flour
- 1/3 cup Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon Ginger
- 2 teaspoons Just Whites Egg Substitute
- 3/4 cup Skim Milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable Oil
- 2 Tablespoons of Water
- 1/2 cup Apple Butter
- 1/2 cup grated Beets or Zucchini
- 1/2 cup Mini Chocolate chips (plus additional Chocolate Chips for garnish)
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and prepare muffin cups by spraying with baking spray.
2. In a large bowl combine Flour, Sugar, Baking Powder, Cinnamon, Salt, Nutmeg, Ginger, and Just Whites.
3. In a measuring cup combine the Milk, Oil and water. Stir into dry ingredients.
4. Add Apple Butter to batter. Mix well.
5. Add grated Beets or Zucchini and Mini Chocolate Chips. Fold in until incorperated.
6. Divide batter evenly into 12 muffin cups. Sprinkle a half dozen or so additional mini chocolate chips on top.
7. Bake for 15-18 minutes until the tops of the muffin are slightly brown and they pass the tooth pick test.
8. Remove from oven and cool for 5 minutes before enjoying.
I brought a couple of these to my knit group and had those ladies act as tasters. Virginia K. liked the chocolate chips, but thought they were too salty. Sheila S. liked the texture and the moisture level. She also liked they way the chocolate chips and beets were evenly distributed through out the muffin. But she found that the flavors were a bit too distinct and didn’t blend well. Maggie S. thought these were too moist. They were not her favorite muffins.
Personally I liked the stronger flavors of the ginger, cinimmon and nutmeg. I also liked the way the chocolate and spices worked with each other.
Let me know what you think!
- Muffin Monday: Blueberry, Lemon, Zucchini (ritalovestowrite.com)
- Muffin Monday: Carrot Zucchini (plus a bonus muffin recipe) (ritalovestowrite.com)
- Muffin Monday: Beet & Fennel Muffins (ritalovestowrite.com)
- Muffin Monday: Bonus Blog – Maggie L’s Peanut Butter Cupcakes (ritalovestowrite.com)
- Muffin Monday: Peaches, Strawberry and Cream (ritalovestowrite.com)
Leave a Reply