After a couple of steamy weeks the weather has cooled considerable here since Sunday. This resulted in my getting a nasty cold ( which meant I didn’t post yesterday! GASP! — I do have note from the doctor, but still!) However the vegetables from the CSA are still going strong.
Here’s what was in the box for week 18 of the Calverts Gift CSA (after I made my substitutions)…
I knew I wanted to make something Turnip inspired and decided on a simple Turnip stew.
From the Box:
2 bunches of Turnips (cut into 1/2″ chunks) [I’ve got smaller snowball and larger red turnips here]
2 Cloves of Garlic (diced)
2 Tomatoes (cut into 1/2″ chunks)
1 cup Fingerling Potatoes (cut into 1/2″ chunks) [From previous box]
From the Pantry:
2 Tbls Olive OIl
1 Onion (diced)
Salt, Pepper and dry Cilantro to taste
1. In a Dutch Over or heavy skillet place the Olive oil and Turnips cover and cook at a medium heat. Stir every few minutes.
2. Add the Garlic at about the 5 minute mark. Stir.
3. Add the Onions and Fingerling Potatoes at the 10 minute mark. Stir.
4. Check the stew. If the Potatoes and Turnips are soft enough to pierce with a fork add the Salt, Pepper, Cilantro and Tomatoes. Stir.
5. Heat the Tomatoes through and remove from heat.
6. Serve hot in a bowl and enjoy.
I like the way the sweetness of the tomatoes plays off the slightly bitter flavor of the turnip.
This can be eaten hot or cool. (But on a day like today it is perfect steaming hot with a chunk of fresh baked bread.)
- Farm Fresh Challenge: Mid Summer Harvest Stew (ritalovestowrite.com)
- Farm Fresh Challenge: Mashed Sweet Potatoes (ritalovestowrite.com)
- Farm Fresh Challenge: Tomato & Turkey Sauce with Ziti (ritalovestowrite.com)