Here it is MONDAY and I’m actually getting my Muffin Monday blog out on time. That is due in large part to my guest chef Maggie who created this recipe (and did pretty much everything for me.) So hats off to Maggie, and I hope you enjoy Maggie’s Dateabyte Muffins…
3 cups of White Whole Wheat Flour
1 tablespoon of Baking Powder*
1 tablespoon of Baking Soda*
1 tablespoon of Salt
1 stick of unsalted Butter
1 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
1 cup Skim Milk
1/2 cup chopped Dates
Crumble — 1/2 cup chopped Sweet and Crunch Peanuts (or 1/2 cup chopped nuts plus 2 tablespoons of sugar)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Prep muffin cups (this recipe made 16 muffins)
2. In a large bowl mix together the Flower, Baking Powder, Baking Soda and Salt.
3. In a another bowl cream the Butter and mix in the Brown Sugar.
4. Add the Eggs to the Flour mixture and slowly add the milk.
5. Mix in the Butter and Sugar.
6. Fold in the Dates.
7. Divide evenly among the muffin cups and top with Crumble.
8. Bake for 25 minutes until muffins are golden brown and pass the toothpick test.
These muffins are fluffy but not overly sweet. They paired well with butter or brie (and, of course, go particularly well, with daughters who are home for the holidays.)(* We both thought they would have benefited from a touch less baking soda and baking powder. I suggest making these with a teaspoon of each instead of a tablespoon.)