It’s Friday and that means a writing prompt from the amazing Sidie at Viewfromtheside’s Blog. This week offering: “Nothing Much.” Today I’m straying away from fiction to write a bit of slice of life…
Yard Sale Manifesto
Tomorrow I’m are having a yard sale. For the past several weeks I’ve been gleaning, purging, editing and CLEANING various items that I think might actually sell. The strategy is three-pronged.
- Prong One: make a bit of money to help play for some one’s tuition to grad school.
- Prong Two: get rid of a bit of stuff that I don’t use very much.
- Prong Three: say howdy to our neighbors.
- “haggle over the already very reasonable prices” and
- “put up with idiots who tear up the lawn by parking while stupid” and
- “smile while people judge the crap I bought in the 1990’s”
are NOT among the guiding principles of the almighty three prong approach.
I’ve got a lovely little table for little folks where everything is marked a nickel. I’ve got some “Free with the purchase of…” flower pots and starter sets. I’ve got some small appliances that work great and cost a fraction of what they are selling for on Ebay. In a nutshell I’m being really, really reasonable…so please don’t demoralize all the hard work I’ve put into this and try to dicker me down another buck or two. It will only serve to tick me off.
I’m being fair, now return the favor.
Obviously I’m tired. You can hear it in my “voice,” can’t you?
So… what do I expect to come of the 8 to 10 hours of yard duty (plus untold hours getting ready)? Frankly NOTHING MUCH. But having admitted that from the start things can only go up from here, right?
Well, here’s hoping.
Also: when I say “I” what I really mean is “WE” because this has been a team effort. I hereby acknowledge the help, support and patience of my beloved family.