I am an unabashed lover of Maryland tomatoes. I could eat a nice firm slice of an heirloom tom with a tiny dash of salt and pepper and be the happiest girl this side of the Chesapeake. But after several weeks of tomatoes and cherry tomatoes in the CSA box I’m starting to lose pace. The crisper bin in my fridge is full of round red things and my CHALLENGE today is to do something about it! My solution? Vegetable Casserole.
From the BOX:
- 1 large Tomato cut into 1/2″ pieces
- 18 Cherry Tomatoes sliced in half
- 2 Eggs
From the Pantry (and from previous boxes and trips to the farmers market)
- 1 cup Bread Crumbs
- 1 cup grated Italian Cheese
- 1 8 oz package of Cream Cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Summer Squash
- 1/2 cup grated Beets
- 1/2 cup chopped Onion
- Cooking Spray
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray the bottom of a 9″ square oven safe glass pan.
2. Sprinkle 1/3 of the Bread Crumbs in the pan.
3. Put on a layer of Summer Squash.
4. Add 1/4 cup of the Italian Cheese.
5. Add the Tomatoes.
6. Beat the Cream Cheese (warm in microwave is necessary to get it super creamy) and spoon on top of the Tomatoes.
7. Add the Onions
8. Add another 1/4 cup of Cheese.
9. Add another layer of Bread Crumbs.
10. Add the Beets.
11. Add 1/4 Cheese.
12. Add the Cherry Tomatoes
13. Add the rest of the Bread Crumbs.
14. Add the rest of the Cheese.
15. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and cook an additional 10 minutes until cheese starts to brown.
16. Let cool a few minutes before serving. Enjoy.
Do you have any tomato recipes you’d like to share? Please let me know.
- Tomato-Basil Avocado Tart (kellyfoodparadise.wordpress.com)
- Summer Vegetable Casserole (caraannewilliams.wordpress.com)
- Southern-style Stewed Tomatoes (southernfood.answers.com)
- Tomato Salad with Corn and Basil (spoonful.com)
- tomato tart – cheesy and herby (bitebymichelle.com)
- Market to Table: Caprese, 4 Ways (williams-sonoma.com)