Taking a little mid-month break from the July Creative Challenge to revisit the weekly Farm Fresh Challenge. This week’s box from Calvert’s Gift Farm was, once again chuck full of amazing produce.
I couldn’t wait to get cooking for this edition of…I decided to make a Hot Potato Salad with cheese and hard-cooked eggs.
FROM THE BOX:
- 3 medium red potatoes
- 1 medium onion
- 1/2 a soft neck garlic.
- 1 egg
- 1 tomato
- 2 cups of mixed salad greens
FROM THE FRIDGE:
- 6 small mozzarella balls (1-inch)
- 2 tablespoons of Olive Oil mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 cups left over Steak (or other protein )
- 4 cups of water
Hard cook the egg
Dice the potatoes, onion, garlic.
Boil the water in a two-quart pan. When the water comes to a rolling boil add the potatoes, onion and garlic. Let boil for seven to ten minute, or until potatoes are soft.
Peel the hard-cooked egg and cut lengthwise into quarters.
Reheat the meat in the microwave,taking care not to over cook it.
Dice up the tomato
Clean the salad greens, pat dry with a paper towel and break. Rip into bite sized pieces with your hands.
When the potatoes are soft remove the pot from the heat and drain the potatoes. Transfer the potatoes, onion and garlic into a large bowl. Add mayonnaise and toss.
Add mozzarella balls, tomato and egg and gently fold in.
Plate over salad greens with the meat on the side.
I thought this was just right with a shake of salt and pepper, but my husband wanted a bit more kick and added a little Italian salad dressing.
Either way both our plates were cleaned by the end of the meal.
The only one who didn’t like the meal was the dog as there were no left over bits for her bowl. 😦
- Farm Fresh Challenge: Fava Flavor (ritalovestowrite.com)
- Farmer’s Market Potato Salad (vegantripper.wordpress.com)
- 2 Potato Salad Recipes (redwagonorganicfarm.com)
- Bavarian Potato Salad (German) (hungrylittlegirl.com)
- Recipe: Potato salad with chives & tarragon (allthingsnice.ca)
- Chickpea, Egg and Potato salad with Salsa Verde (jennychandlerblog.com)
- Italian Style Potato Salad (roseleablog.wordpress.com)