I didn’t think it would happen, but it did. I miss The Office. I know that all things must come to an end (and, honestly, the really the good part of this Thursday night staple passed several years ago — though it has had a rebound of late). And now I find I miss my weekly dose of Jim and Pam, and Dwight and the gang.
So when my brilliant and creative husband suggested I create a muffin called the Dunder Mufflin I jumped at the chance.
The one ingredient I knew it had to have… Beets! And they had to be mini muffins to make them muffLINS.
- 1 1/2 c White Whole Wheat Flour
- 3/4 c Almond Meal (or if you are frugal like Dwight, Almonds that you grind in a Blender)
- 1 Tbsp of Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of Salt
- 1/2 c of Brown Sugar
- 1 c non fat Milk
- 1 teaspoon Almond Extract
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 stick (4 oz) melted Butter
- 1 cup Cherries
- 1 Cup Beets
- 1/3 c Flour
- 2 Tbsp White Sugar
- 1/2 stick (4 oz) melted butter
- 1/3 cup Almond Meal
- 1/2 c Sliced Almonds
1 Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Prep 36 mini muffin cups with paper liners and spray.
2. Grate the Cherries in a food processor or blender.
3. Grate the Beets in a food processor or blender.
4. Combine the Flour, Almond Meal, Baking Powder and Salt in a large bowl.
5. In a medium bowl beat the Eggs and Brown Sugar together, add the Milke and Almond Extract. Slowly add the Melted Butter.
6. Combine the liquid to the dry to create a smooth batter.
7. Fold in the Cherries and Beets.
8. Divide the batter evenly into the mini baking cups.
9. In a medium bowl combine all the ingredients for the Topping.
10. Top each Mufflin with some of the Topping. (I had left over topping).
11. Bake for 20 minutes. Mufflins are done when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool for a few minutes before enjoying.
I would not put the Dunder Mufflins in the sweet muffin catagory, but they are very good. The beets were undetectable, and the cherries gave it just a little bit of a kiss of flavor (but didn’t make the muffins too tart). They were moist, but not gooey. A nice mild muffin to get your work day off right. Kind of the Pam of the muffin world.
I think the guys at the Office would give these Mufflins their nod of approval.
- Muffin Monday: Loaded Carrot Muffins (ritalovestowrite.com)