Today’s blog features two essay contests: the official JASNA Student Essay Contest,
and the ritaLOVEStoWRITE Essay Contest for the rest of us.
JASNA STUDENT ESSAY CONTEST:
Attention: Students at the high school, college and post-graduate levels:
In celebration of the 200th anniversary of the publication of Pride and Prejudice, JASNA (The Jane Austen Society of North America) is looking for short essays on the following topic:
“Though Pride and Prejudice may be regarded as timeless, nevertheless within the novel Austen plots her time very carefully. Timing is everything for important relationships and events. And the characters are deeply connected to the time in which they live, which is both like and unlike our times. What do we discover about time, times, or timeliness from reading Pride and Prejudice?”
Judges will be awarding scholarships ranging from $250 to $1000, plus a years membership to JASNA, plus tickets and lodging to the 2013 JASNA Annual General Meeting in Minneapolis. The winning essays will also appear on the JASNA website.
Deadline is May 15, 2013.
[Please note that the contest is open to students outside the United States too, but the essay must be written in English.]
ritaLOVEStoWRITE Contest for the rest of us:
So what about the rest of us Pride and Prejudice lovers? Can’t WE write an essay*? Well, sure you can. I’m calling for entries right here and right now.
We too will be celebrating the 200th anniversary of P&P! But guess what? Any one can participate! Couple of RULES here:
- TRY and keep it under 1200 words please.
- The “essay” should be Pride and Prejudice centric.
- Please submit your essay in English.
- Have fun with it!
- Oh, and no pornography == THIS is Austen after all!
Prizes include… All entries will be published in an upcoming special edition of the award-winning ritaLOVEStoWRITE blog. All entries will receive a participation banner for your blog. The top three entries will receive a special “Finalist” banner for their Blog Page, and the top entry will win a Darcy mug! (Please make sure to include an email contact — which I will remove before posting so the whole world doesn’t see it.)
Deadline: 28 January 2013 (That’s the anniversary date of the novel’s publication)
*I seriously encourage you to think outside the box. For you illustrators out there… how about some character studies? Are you a play wright? Why not treat us to a re-imagined scene or two?
AND … Although I’m not going to snark on your intellectual property I strongly suggest you throw a copyright on all your original material in case any one else takes a liking to it.
- Literary Influences to Jane Austen’s Persuasion.
- Jane Austen’s A-Z
- Thought of the Day Colin Firth
- My Darcy Weekend
- How to Flirt Jane Austen Style (abullseyeview.com)
- Celebrating Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice: 200 Years of Jane Austen’s Masterpiece By Susannah Fullerton (janeaustensworld.wordpress.com)
- Louise West and celebrating “Pride and Prejudice” on Radio Solent (janeaustenshousemuseumblog.com)
- My Top Picks for Jane Austen-inspired Holiday Gifts for 2012 (austenprose.com)